The Port Harcourt Zonal Office of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) held its maiden edition of the Consumer- Conversation Forum at the Hall of Celebration Asaba, Delta State on Thursday, April 27, 2017 drawing a mix of stakeholders: market groups, students, representatives of telecoms operators, community leaders, government and non-governmental organisations.
The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of the NCC, Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta was represented by the Zonal Controller, Port Harcourt Zonal Office Engr. Chidi Diugwu. The Commission’s recognition of telecoms consumers and the commitment to protect their rights were central to the EVC’s welcoming address.
Key discussion areas as documented in the year of consumer doctrine were:
- Activation of Do-Not-Disturb short code – 2442, to prevent unsolicited SMS messages and calls;
- Utilization of NCC Toll Free Line – 622 to report complaints regarding unresolved issues with Network Service Providers.
- Efforts aimed at enhancing Telecoms Quality of Service.
- Non-harmful effect of Electromagnetic Field (EMF) radiation on consumers health from Base Transceiver Stations.
- Effects of Non-Type Approved Telecoms Devices on QoS and Health.
- NCC Conflict Resolution Processes.
- Mobile Number Portability Processes.